Wood Chip Gardening Myths & Facts! Expert Reveals Research
One of the leading experts on the scientific research behind gardening and landscaping with arborist wood chips, Dr. Linda Chalker Scott sat down with us in an exclusive interview. We wanted to find out the truth about the biggest wood chip myths according to scientific research and trails. You won't want to miss out on learning the shocking answers to many of the most common concerns and misconceptions associated with wood chip mulch!
Meet Arborist Wood Chip Expert Dr. Linda Chalker-Scott
Dr. Linda Chalker-Scott has a Ph.D. in Horticulture from Oregon State University and is an ISA certified arborist and an ASCA consulting arborist. She is WSU’s Extension Urban Horticulturist and a Professor in the Department of Horticulture and holds two affiliate associate professor positions at the University of Washington. She conducts research in applied plant and soil sciences, publishing the results in scientific articles and university Extension fact sheets. In 2020, she was named the new editor for the Western Arborist magazine.
Wood Chip Mulch Facts & Myths We Debunk:
- What kind of woody mulches are negative to use for soil and plant health?
- Nitrogen and carbon ratio in fresh versus composted wood chips.
- The mind-blowing benefits of arborist wood chip mulch compared to other mulch.
- How to prevent weeds, water-saving, local resources, slow-release of nutrients. Why do we need to shift our mindset on the aesthetic appeal of landscaping mulch?
- The free availability, economic benefits, and true value of arborist wood chips.
- The impacts of sheet mulching with paper and cardboard on soil health.
- Best ways to smother weeds without suffocating the soil.
- How thick to apply wood chip mulch for restoration sites, perennials, and weed problems.
- When to apply wood chip mulch and when to add more.
- The pros and cons of coarse versus fine arborist wood chips.
- How to solve nutrient deficiencies in the soil.
- Debunking common wood chip myths.
- Does applying wood chips as a mulch tie up nitrogen?
- Should gardeners practice tilling or amending the soil with wood chips by mixing them in?
- Do woody mulches acidify soils?
- Do some woody mulches leach alleolpathic chemicals that can kill other plants?
- Do woody mulches attract termites, carpenter ants, and other pests?
- Do arborist wood chips pose a risk of transferring disease?
- Does the contamination of Herbicides or Pesticides pose a concern?
- What destroys beneficial mycorrhizae?
- Are arborist wood chips a beneficial mulch for vegetable gardens or only perennials?